19 Jan Best Practice Skin Care Regimen
Best practice skin care begins at home and is completed with supervised medical treatments at a medical spa.
- Keep your skin clean everyday by washing with a soap that neither dries your skin or leaves it oily. Wash your face at least twice daily, more often if you are physically active. Wash your hands frequently throughout the day and do not touch your face with your hands. Touching your face increases bacteria and oils that lead to acne.
- Use sun screen on exposed areas of your skin. Sun exposure is responsible for the vast majority of facial aging and proper skin care must include sunscreen. Minimize sun exposure with sun screens, hats and sunglasses. Sun exposure should never leave your skin red or burned. Spf greater than 35 should be used on all skin types and skin colors.
- Sleep at least 7 hrs per day. Hydrate your skin at night varying the density of moisturizes depending on your skin the and the season. Dry climates and winter weather change the type of moisturizer that most patients require.
- Moisturize your skin every time you wash your face. Soaps change the natural ph of your skin. Placing a high quality moisturizer after cleaning rebalances the natural ph of your skin.
- Drink adequate amounts of water daily. Skin tone is immediately affected by dehydration. In general two liters of water is appropriate daily.
- Consume a well balanced diet with appropriate balances of fats, carbohydrates and proteins daily. Use a simple mvi daily or twice daily to ensure adequate intake of vitamins key to maintaing beautiful skin. Multivitamins contain antioxidants zinc, vit c, vit d, vit e essential to best skin health.
- Exfoliate your skin twice weekly by shaving your face or monthly in the medical spa with dermaplaning. Exfoliating on a regular basis gives your skin a healthy glow and allows products easier access to deeper layers of skin. Exfoliating also removes vellous hairs from your skin and any makeup that has resisted removal.
- Rejuvinate your skin with microneedling or other facials every 6 weeks. Microneedling produces micro trauma that stimulates new healthy skin and increases collagen formation at the dermal level creating tighter even skin texture reducing wrinkles. You may also rejuvinate your skin with retinol which also has been proven to reduce fine lines.
- Skin care also includes managing wrinkles by recieving botox every 3 months. Botox immediately reduces wrinkles by inactivating muscles beneath the skin.
- Even skin tone and control dark spots by using hydroquinone creams that reduce melanin production at the level of the dermis. Also available is IPL or Intense pulsed Light treatments that similarly even skin tone.
Do not smoke. Smoking leads to all of the worst effects of ageing including wrinkles and reduced skin elasticity.